Saturday, February 22, 2014

February Kids Were Here- Love


When Mackenzie was 6 months old, her godmother, Erin, passed along a spare blanket- you know the kid, satiny soft on one side, plush on the other with a cute pattern . This blanket was nearly the same as the one  Erin's daughter, Olivia,carried with her but Olivia already had two and didn't need another one. I accepted this gift but had no way of knowing how much this blanket would mean to Mackenzie, to me.  To this day, 5 years later and never a day missed in between, Mackenzie sleeps with this very same blanket. It's quite dingy, but still soft in a tattered, well {loved} sort of way. It smells like nothing and everything all at once. And , just as I did for her every night as I settled her in for bed, she cuddles the blanket over her left shoulder and drifts off to sleep.  Because I was afraid it'd become a germ magnet, this blanket is only allowed out of the house on special occasions. If it were ever lost, I know how heart broken Mackenzie would be with out it, and I would be, too. For with each nights sleep and each midday rest, this bundle of mine, no longer little, has wrapped herself in this swatch of fabric, told it her dreams, cozied up to it for comfort. It's been a sled and a fort and it's been twisted into a cape for both girl and dog. Tiny hands clung to it like a parachute. It's more than just soft fabric. It's a memory.  It is {love}.

The other day, as I watched Mason use his own blanket as a garage for his cars, I began thinking of how special his blanket is to him, too. Admittedly, I got teary eyed as I remembered when these blankets could envelop my little babes in a full swaddle  and now they are an accessory that sometimes winds up bunched up in the couch cushions or stuffed in a box as padding for a trip to them moon in rocket ship. But every time bed time nears, a drowsy, droopy eyed child goes looking for this special piece peace because sleep- life-  just wouldn't be the same with out that blanket.


Please follow the blog circle by visiting Heather's blog, My Kids Are Here.
Also feel free to follow the adventures of the Mx4 Crew  here.  Thanks for following our blog circle!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Missy. So thoughtfully done! I wish I was as good as you with words. Grahams blanket is a white dingy carters blanket we picked up at the outlet in Birch Run. It holds a special meaning since it was my the first item we bought during my first pregnancy.(I had two items from it, this blanket and an outfit my mom picked out) We were up there shopping and we stopped in just to look. I had just found out I was pregnant and I just couldn't resist. I never expected him to pick it but its even more special to me because he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! I was just thinking how many people warn against any kind of " attachment item" like blankets or binkies , stuffed animals and the likes but I couldn't be happier that I didn't listen and that my kids have such a treasure to carry along with them. Seriously CANNOT wait to see your new little bundle and his lovey :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story -- so much meaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me want to cry! So beautifully written. My daughter has one of those as well and it gets taken places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story! No lovey's here, I didn't care, but my little guys didn't take to anything special. But I share your tearful memories of seeing tiny receiving blankets and remembering when they enveloped and tightly wrapped my boys.

    ReplyDelete